Child Support Services

Division of Support Enforcement and Recovery (DSER)

What services can Maine Child Support help with?

  • Establishing paternity
  • Determining, collecting, and enforcing child support obligations, and
  • Locating parents

Please note, child support services do NOT include:

  • Legal advice
  • Divorce judgments or spousal support orders
  • Enforcing visitation rights
  • Collecting spousal support-only orders
  • Custody matters
  • Enforcing property settlements

How do I apply for services?

Option 1: Apply through our online portal.

Option 2: Download the application and apply through the mail.

If you are receiving TANF, then you will automatically receive child support services.

What do I need to apply?

  • Child’s Birth Certificate
    • If your child was born in Maine: a copy of the birth certificate.
    • If your child was born out of state: a certified copy of the birth certificate.
  • Complete Court Order
    • If order is from Maine: A complete Maine Court Order.
    • If order is from another state/jurisdiction: 3 certified copies of the court order.
  • Statement of Child Support Paid - If your child's other parent owes a child support debt, please complete the Statement of Child Support Paid, attached to your application package.


Call the Case Initiation Unit at 207 624-4100 or submit a question through our online form.


If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence and would like to talk with an advocate:

Call (866) 834-4357
TRS (800) 787-3224

This free, confidential service is available 24/7.

If you are a parent afraid that the other parent of your child will harm you or your child, there is help available.

If you are receiving TANF benefits, and fear that naming the other parent may put you or your child in danger, you may be granted "good cause" to receive benefits without revealing information about the baby's other parent.

Speak with your TANF worker for details about good cause.