FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, March 17, 2020
Contact: Kristen Muszynski
Secretary Dunlap closes all Bureau of Motor Vehicle offices
AUGUSTA – Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap announced today that all Bureau of Motor Vehicles offices are closed, effective immediately.
The closure is in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19 among staff and the public, and will remain in place until further notice.
Secretary Dunlap is working with the Maine Legislature to extend all registrations, temporary plates, registrations, disability placards, State ID cards and driver’s licenses that are expiring during this state of emergency. More information will be available soon.
Many BMV transactions can be processed via the online services, such as:
- Driver’s License (Non-Commercial) and State ID Card Replacement and Renewal
- Driving Records
- Duplicate Vehicle Registrations
- Over-Size / Over-Weight Permits
- Rapid Renewal: for reregistration of vehicles
- Title Replacement
- Trailer Registration Renewal
- Vanity Plate Search & Order
During this time, residents will not be able to obtain Real ID credentials, first-time credentials, or new registrations.