FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, March 16, 2020
Contact: Kristen Muszynski
State Archives, CEC to reduce social interaction
AUGUSTA – Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap announced today that the Department of the Secretary of State will be taking additional measures to limit social interaction as the State seeks to limit the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
- Beginning Wednesday, March 18, the Bureau of Corporations, Elections and Commissions will close its customer service window and will accept documents from FedEx, UPS and U.S. mail, and via an onsite drop box only. Staff will provide information by phone 624-7736 or email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com. These measures will be in place until further notice.
- Beginning tomorrow, Tuesday, March 17, the Maine State Archives will be closed to the public. This closure will extend through April 15, 2020. Staff will accept requests and answer queries via phone and email, (207) 287-5790 and firstname.lastname@example.org. Many documents are also available online, via the Maine State Archives Digital Maine repository and DigitalMaine Transcription Project, and genealogy information is available via the Archives’ collection on FamilySearch.
This closure includes the State Records Center located at the BABLO building. Requests for state records housed at the State Records Center will be by appointment only. Requests can be submitted via email to email@example.com or by phone at 207-287-3657 and State Records Center staff will assist you.
The Archives staff also encourage use of other online resources for keeping children engaged while they are at home due to school closures:
- Online Exhibits: https://www.maine.gov/sos/arc/ collections/exhibits.html
- Maine State Archives Bicentennial Projects: https://www.maine.gov/sos/arc/bicentennialmsa.html
- Secretary of State Kid’s Page: https://www.maine.gov/sos/kids/