For information regarding a CDL license or any CDL endorsement, please contact the CDL Examination Section at (207) 624-9000 ext. 52122.
CDL Self-Certification and Medical Examiner's Certificate Reporting
- All CDL holders must complete the self-certification form and provide the DOT Medical Examiner's Certificate (a copy is acceptable).
- Drivers that certify to non-excepted interstate or non-excepted intrastate driving must give the Bureau of Motor Vehicles a copy of their Medical Examiner's Certificate, and must keep that certificate current. You may mail, fax, e-mail, or drop off the form to a motor vehicle branch office location.
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
CDL Compliance Unit
29 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0029
Fax to: (207)-624-9339
E-mail: cdlcompliance.BMV@maine.gov (must be scanned as a word document or pdf)
Drivers that are required to submit a Medical Examiner's Certificate must submit a new certificate (a copy is acceptable) before the previous one expires to stay in compliance and avoid a downgrade of their medical certification status.
You can change your type of driving at any time by submitting a new self certification form and DOT Medical Certificate, if required.
Medical Examiner forms are available online at http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov
CDL Certification for Military Waiver of Skills Test
A qualified veteran who is, or who has been regularly employed in a military position within the last year, can obtain a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) by completing a waiver certification form and taking the written skills test. The driving test will be waived if:
- If discharged, the military employment was within the last year
- For a period of at least 2 years, the veteran operated a commercial vehicle of the same class and type as the CDL license they are applying for
- For this 2 year period, the veteran has not had their license suspended, revoked, or cancelled
- The veteran does not hold a license in another jurisdiction (excludes a military license)
- The veteran has not had any convictions disqualifying them from the waiver, or has not exceeded 1 conviction for certain convictions (refer to the CDL Certification for Military Waiver of Skills Test form for list of convictions).