Motorcycle Instructor License (how to obtain)
Motorcycle Rider Education Instructor License (Chapter 11 Rules Governing Motorcycle Rider Education)
- A Basic RiderCourse (BRC) instructor license entitles a person to teach the Basic RiderCourse (BRC), which is a 15 hour hands-on course. (5 hours classroom instruction and 10 hours on a closed range operating a motorcycle.)
General Requirements for Motorcycle Rider Education Instructor License
To apply for a license, you must complete a motorcycle rider education instructor license application form and meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Submit proof of a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- Must hold a valid operator's license with an endorsement, or restriction, to operate a motorcycle license as described in 29-A MRSA 1254.
- Have at least four (4) years of riding experience as a licensed motorcycle operator.
- Must not have any physical, emotional or mental impairment which would prevent driver licensure in accordance with Chapter 3, Secretary of State, Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Rules Governing the Physical Emotional and Mental Competence to Operate a Motor Vehicle.
- Have no convictions or adjudication for moving criminal traffic offenses within the last three (3) years, except for operating without a license if the license was expired less than five (5) years and operating with an expired registration.
- Have not been convicted for any Class A, B or C crime or felony within the last ten (10) years.
- Have not had a driver's license suspended or revoked within the last six (6) years pursuant to 29-A MRSA Sections 2411, 2453, 2454, 2456, 2457, 2472, 2521, 2525, 2552, 2554, 2555 or 2557.
- Have not been designated as an accident-prone driver within last year from date of application.
- Have successfully completed a basic first aid course approved by the American Red Cross, American Heart Association or National Safety Council and hold a valid completion card.
- Submit a license fee of $100.00 plus a $21.00 fee for the criminal background check. (Total $121.00)
- Pass an examination consisting of vision and motorcycle road test within 90 days after license issuance.
Additional Requirements for Basic RiderCourse (BRC) Instructor License
You must submit a certificate as proof of successful completion of the Rider Coach Preparation Course. (72 hour course; combination of classroom and range instruction) Call 207-624-9000 Ext. 52128 for more information.
Your application will be reviewed by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles to determine whether you meet the licensing requirements. If your application is approved, you will be issued a license which will be mailed to you. Your license will expire one year from the date it is issued. Teaching motorcycle rider education without a valid license is a Class E crime.
Once you are issued a Motorcycle Rider Education Instructor license, it is your responsibility to notify the Bureau of Motor Vehicles in writing of any change in information on the original license application (e.g., change of name, address, telephone number, driving or criminal record and health). All correspondence and renewal notices will be sent to the licensee's last known address on file with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact this office at (207) 624-9000 Extension 52128.