Grants are often available for historical archival and museum collections and facilities projects. The exact nature of the grant programs changes frequently, so be sure to check for updates before planning to apply. This page contains information on three grant programs as well as forms for those who have already received grants.
Grant Update and Other News
The MHRAB voted on the following items on June 27, 2016:
- The Maine Historical Records Advisory Board received formal notification from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission that Maine’s application for a two-year, $80,000 federal Partnership grant has been approved.
- Funds from the grant will be used to assist historical societies and other collecting entities to preserve and provide public access to their holdings. The emphasis on the federal level to promote digitizing is mirrored in the Maine grant, with the additional interest in preparing for Maine’s 2020 bicentennial commemoration.
- The Board voted on June 27 to join the initial Basic and Major grant application deadlines for the Partnership funding to October 1, 2016.
- The Board will meet on Monday, October 17, 2016 at the Pejepscot Historical Society, in Brunswick, at 10 a.m. to review re-grant applications.
- Pejepscot Historical Society Executive Director Larissa Vigue Picard was recently appointment to the Board by Governor Paul R. LePage.
For more information on the NHPRC grants, go to the Historical Records Grant Opportunities page.
Professional Development Workshops available through Maine Archives and Museums
Searchable list of Maine historical societies and historical records repositories.
- Historical Records Advisory Board: reviews grant requests for State and federal funding.
- Archival Consultants: for evaluating collections, recommending actions
- Maine Archives and Museums (MAM) :
Maine Archives and Museums (MAM) is the only professional association representing museums, archives, historical societies and other collecting institutions in the state of Maine. Please contact:
- Maine Archives and Museums
- P.O. Box 784, Portland, Maine 04104
- Telephone: (207) 400-6965
- Email: email@example.com